Sunday, December 2, 2012

Turkey Noodle Soup

Yep, Thanksgiving has just passed! Although I forgot to document my turkey making, or the day after turkey pot pie making, I did remember to document this :)

I had already used up all of our turkey, but a friend had given us the legs and wings from their free range Thanksgiving turkey (thanks Leslie!). I threw them in the freezer until today. Time to make soup!

Throw your spare turkey parts and bones into a pot and cover with water. I used one of my canning kettles as I planned to make a huge batch of noodle soup, but you can use any size you need. You can also use chicken thighs or wings, or a left over rotisserie carcass just as easy. Another trick I use is to buy my chicken breast on the bone, cut it off the bone and freeze the rib cages for soup later. You can add how ever much meat you need to fill out the amount of soup you make.


Add a bay leaf or two or four, depending on how much you're making. For an average kettle, I use two. Shown are 3 cloves of garlic and about half a medium onion. Toss those in, too.


Put the lid on and bring it to a boil, then simmer for a couple hours. Keep the lid on so your stock doesn't get too concentrated as the water evaporates. Salt to taste. I usually put about half of what I think I'll need in at the start, and add more if needed when I start throwing veggies in.


Speaking of veggies! Carrots, celery and more onion are obvious in the picture. The white dish holds rosemary (1 T or so), the jar is frozen thyme (1 t or so), and the frozen green chunks are basil and parsley( a couple T each or so). I also added two pint bags of corn. Use what you like! As far as measurements, put in enough veggies so that when you stir the soup, it looks like there's plenty for each bowl of soup. I don't measure my spices really. Add some, let it cook, taste it, and add more of what it seems to need. Trial and error is your friend here. If it doesn't come out just how you wanted this time, try again!


Before you put the veggies in, pick your bones, skin and big chunks of meat out of the pot and put in a bowl to cool. Now chuck your veggies and spices in, and cook until the carrots are about done.


After the bones and meat cool enough to handle, pick them clean, separating the bones and skin and junk from the meat. Break or cut the meat into small pieces. At this time, I get my extra chicken ready, too. Cut up thawed meat into bites and put it with the rest of the meat chunks.


Once the carrots are about done, put the meat and noodles into the pot. Again, use enough meat so there will be enough for each bowl of soup. Remember, your noodles will swell, so make sure to leave room, and consider how much broth you like. If you put too many noodles in, don't water the soup or you will destroy the flavour! I know, I have done it. I salvaged it by adding bullion, but it wasn't the same. Just remember for next time. I used store bough egg noodles in this batch for the simple reason that I didn't feel like making my own today. The noodles are done when you say they are done. Make them how you like them.


 Add a slice of home made wheat honey oatmeal bread with a bit of butter, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This soup is really good!
    I love the pictures showing what the ingredients look like while you're working with them. And that it's not a how-to video. :)

    ReplyDelete